Sunday 5 December 2010

"Eat the ripe ones, Man"!

There is this thirukkural in tamil that talks about the choice of speaking good words over bad ones.

"Iniya ulavaaga innaadha kooral
Kani iruppa kaai kavarndhatru"

It compares words to fruits and asks why eat unripe fruits when you have ripe ones? Get it?

That's the only meaning of this kural that i know as i was taught.

Comma
.

Now this morning i was talking to one of my friend and telling how things are shaping up better for me. How I am trying not to worry about the bad things around me that which i used to do 18/7. My friend put this question across to me,

"Athiq, does every other person in this world give you nothing but trouble?"

I muttered, "No, not everyone and not all the time"

Before i could finish, my friend said,

"Iniya ulavaaga innaadha kooral
Kani iruppa kaai kavarndhatru"

You have so many good people doing so many good things around you. Take them. Why do you eat unripe fruits? Not good for you!

While i took the kural in the literal perspective, my friend took in the contextual perspective.

A bunch o' fruits. Which one you eat matters!

Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment